DESIGNER HIGHLIGHT: TRUNK [aimee g, Radka Design, Samoy Lenko]


Every product has a story, here is ours.


For Trunk's 5 year anniversary, we asked a dear friend, 

Antoinette, to interview us. Antoinette is the designer of a 

women's clothing line Cinderloop and has been one of Trunk’s 

vendors from the day we opened. Below are the 5 questions 

posed to each of Trunk’s partners (Aimee, Radka and Natasha) 

about inspiration, business, and friendship.


Aimee G

Cinderloop: Talk about how a piece of art you've seen this year has influenced
your work (or architecture, music, book etc).
Aimee G: Fashion design for me has always been a way of creating soft sculptures that are practical on their daily use. 
For this Autumn/Winter '15, I started with an abstract shapes on a flat surface.  These surrealistic shapes combined with texture and a muted palette, led me to a visit to the MOMA.  The work of the great painters Magritte, Dali and Miró inspired further pieces and concepts that touch on the past and are a reminder of what the future can hold.

Cinderloop: What where your first impressions of your future partners when you met them at the Market NYC?
Aimee G: I remember seeing Radka's work and wondering how she could crochet wire in such small fine stitches! I remember being fascinated with Natasha's crazy curly hair!  I was also impressed with the organization and focus of her work.

Cinderloop: What are the benefits of sharing a business with close friends?
Aimee G: Certainly, I had some idea of who I was getting into business with!

Cinderloop: After five years of Trunk, can you talk about what you've learned
about owning a store?
Aimee G: Since a large part of my business is wholesale, I have been able to compare the wholesale customer and the retail customer and have discovered that they are not the same much of the time.  I have enjoyed working with the end customers directly

Cinderloop: What do you do in your spare time?
Aimee G: What spare time?
I read, hike and run!


Radka Design

Cinderloop: Talk about how a piece of art you've seen this year has influenced

your work (or architecture, music, book etc).
Radka Design: Lately my inspiration has been angular shapes.  I suddenly started looking at different shapes and imagining them broken down into various shaped triangles. My latest collection is full of 2 toned triangles. Recently I have been listening to a Brazilian singer Ceu, which always puts me in a good creative mood.

Cinderloop: What where your first impressions of your future partners when you met them at the Market NYC?
Radka Design: Natasha - always ready to solve any problem.  Certain comfort in her presence.  Quiet sexiness to her designs.
Aimee - cool swirl dresses designed by a girl munching on her nuts. 

Cinderloop: What are the benefits of sharing a business with close friends?
Radka Design: Trust. Comfort of knowing things will get done. Relying on each other.

Cinderloop: After five years of Trunk, can you talk about what you've learned
about owning a store?
Radka Design: Great part of owning a store is the interaction with customers; getting feedback from them. Lots of work but it feels satisfying to see the end result. Positive attitude needed since retail can be fickle.

Cinderloop: What do you do in your spare time?
Radka Design: I love to go to Prospect Park and walk around watching birds. It feels very special to be able to watch one for a few seconds since them birds don't sit still and fly away!  I love riding my bike, spending time with close friends and reading.

SAMOY LENKO

Cinderloop: Talk about how a piece of art you've seen this year has influenced
your work (or architecture, music, book etc).
Samoy Lenko: Inspiration sneaks up on me from all directions. The underlying thread in all of my designs is simplicity. I like to use one element and make it work with the body with one fluid and functional stroke. 

Cinderloop: What where your first impressions of your future partners when you met them at the Market NYC?
Samoy Lenko: We all met about 10 years ago at the Market NYC. I was drawn to Radka’s positive energy and Aimee’s focus. Even though we were there to work and sell our product, we somehow managed to positively influence and support one another.

Cinderloop: What are the benefits of sharing a business with close friends?
Samoy Lenko: I believe “trust” is the main key to have a healthy partnership. We came together as friends with a similar goal and were able to create something that we are proud of and truly be proud of each other.

Cinderloop: After five years of Trunk, can you talk about what you've learned
about owning a store?
Samoy Lenko: I’ve always wanted to have a store. I love meeting the customers and getting their feedback. It helps me understand who the “samoy lenko woman” is. After 5 years in retail I’ve learned that it is finicky and unpredictable, which made me more patient.   

Cinderloop: What do you do in your spare time?
Samoy Lenko: I am a full-time mom…my children are my son (Orion), my clothing line (samoy lenko) and my store (trunk). Sprinkled in between are bike riding, BBQ-ing and knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

About Us

TRUNK is a lifestyle boutique set within a welcoming industrial space, frequented by women looking for much more than the latest fashion craze. The three independent designer-owners of TRUNK, Aimee G, Samoy Lenko and Radka Design are proud to create, design and manufacture their work in New York. TRUNK provides a stimulating platform for their creations, as well as for the works of invited local designers and artists. Collections featured at TRUNK include distinctive women’s wear, jewelry, accessories, art and furniture, all locally designed and manufactured, making a bold creative statement that “style can be created and found locally.”