Designer Highlight: Marketa New York



Trunk: Where are you from?
MP:  I’m originally from Prague,  but for most of my life I’ve lived in US.  New York City mainly, with a few years in  Philadelphia.
Trunk: What inspires you?
MP:  Many things.  Art, music, architecture. The books I read. Movies. Comedy. This city I now call home, and it’s many transitions. Travel. People. People watching. Good food. Good friends. And John Fluevog shoes.  

Trunk: What is your creative background?
MP:  I have a background in fine arts and design, and hold a degree in accessory design.
Trunk: When did you decide that you wanted to create handbags?
MP:  It was really by accident.   I took  3D design in art school, and for a class assignment I created a handbag based on an old favorite flea market find.  I made few more, sold some of them, and something clicked.   I immediately applied to F.I.T. and the rest is history

Trunk: What music, if any, do you put on when you are creating?
MP:  Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Mazzy Star or P.J. Harvey are pretty much on constant rotation, NPR to shake things up a bit.

Trunk: What materials do you use and where do they come from?
MP:   I almost exclusively work with naked leathers.  I source them through a local showroom that has tanneries in Italy.  Naked hides are known for their soft hand, durability and natural beauty.  They are incredibly supple and only improve with age.  I  hand-select each skin for it’s softness, drape and individual character, paying special attention to the grain and markings.   
Zippers are YKK with  evebright finish.  They are made in Japan, and I use a US based factory to have them cut to size.  


Trunk: How do you come up with your designs?
MP:  The aim is to create bags and accessories that are elegant, practical and fit a modern woman’s needs.   Emphasis is placed on clean and simple lines that highlight the natural beauty of  materials selected for the collection.  Final shape and size is determined by the bag’s purpose, and how it meets a need.

Trunk: How has growing up in Prague influenced your designs in anyway?
MP:  I grew up with grandmothers who taught me to knit, crochet and sew. I apply the attention to detail that comes from creating an object by hand from start to finish to everything I make today.

Trunk: Is there any advice that you’ve received from your time at Casa de Rodrieguez or Cha Cha’s House of Ill Repute that has stayed with you?
MP:  Give your customers what they want

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

About Us

TRUNK is a lifestyle boutique set within a welcoming industrial space, frequented by women looking for much more than the latest fashion craze. The three independent designer-owners of TRUNK, Aimee G, Samoy Lenko and Radka Design are proud to create, design and manufacture their work in New York. TRUNK provides a stimulating platform for their creations, as well as for the works of invited local designers and artists. Collections featured at TRUNK include distinctive women’s wear, jewelry, accessories, art and furniture, all locally designed and manufactured, making a bold creative statement that “style can be created and found locally.”